Active Communities – Places To Live & Be Active
Active Communities are places where people can integrate physical activity into their daily routine. Local policies, programs, and community design make it easy, safe, and fun for people of all ages and ability to walk, bike, or use public transportation to get to where they want to go. There is no one way to create an active community, but it starts with a shared community vision created with walking and bicycling in mind.
The benefits of an active community go beyond increasing physical activity and overall health.
- Boosting the local economy by increasing real estate values and business growth
- Connecting the community by building a sense of community pride
- Improving the environment by reducing air and water pollution
- Increasing safety by accommodating all users
- Building opportunity for all people to prosper
The Michigan Fitness Foundation partners with community groups to develop and implement grassroots-driven initiatives that aim to create and support active living policies and opportunities. Lessons learned through these collaborations are then applied in communities throughout Michigan. Currently, the Michigan Fitness Foundation works with the Crim Fitness Foundation on active living demonstration projects in Genesee County. (View the Crim Foundation website.)